Salbutamol powder also known as albuterol,used to treat or prevent bronchospasm in patients with asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and other lung diseases. It is also used to prevent bronchospasm caused by exercise. Albuterol belongs to the family of medicines known as adrenergic bronchodilators. Adrenergic bronchodilators are medicines that are breathed in through the mouth to open up the bronchial tubes (air passages) in the lungs. They relieve cough, wheezing, shortness of breath, and troubled breathing by increasing the flow of air through the bronchial tubes.
02 Salbutamol powder (18559-94-9) video
03 Salbutamol powder Base Information
|Synonyms||Salbutamol; Albuterol; Proventil; Sultanol; Aerolin; Albuterol Sulfate; Proventil; Salbutamol; Sultanol; Ventolin;|
|Molecular Weight||239.31 g/mol|
|Half Life||5.5 hours|
|Solubility||Soluble in DMSO, not in water|
|Storage Condition||Dry, dark and at 0 – 4 C for short term (days to weeks) or -20 C for long term (months to years).|
|Application||Albuterol belongs to the family of medicines known as adrenergic bronchodilators|
04 Salbutamol powder General Description
Salbutamol powder is a short-acting, selective beta2-adrenergic receptor agonist used in the treatment of asthma and COPD. It is 29 times more selective for beta2 receptors than beta1 receptors giving it higher specificity for pulmonary beta receptors versus beta1-adrenergic receptors located in the heart. Salbutamol is formulated as a racemic mixture of the R- and S-isomers. The R-isomer has 150 times greater affinity for the beta2-receptor than the S-isomer and the S-isomer has been associated with toxicity. This lead to the development of levalbuterol, the single R-isomer of salbutamol. However, the high cost of levalbuterol compared to salbutamol has deterred wide-spread use of this enantiomerically pure version of the drug. Salbutamol is generally used for acute episodes of bronchospasm caused by bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis and other chronic bronchopulmonary disorders such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD). It is also used prophylactically for exercise-induced asthma.
05 Salbutamol powder (18559-94-9) History
David Jack is best known for the discovery of some of the most effective and widely used drugs to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He appreciated the importance of delivering asthma treatments directly to the lungs by inhalation to produce a more rapid effect and to have fewer systemic side effects than drugs given by mouth. Working with Roy Brittain, he recognised the advantage of developing selective activators of β2-receptors to avoid cardiovascular side effects from stimulating β1-receptors that were seen with the non-selective inhaled β-agonist isoprenaline. This led to the discovery of salbutamol (Ventolin), the first selective β2-receptor agonist, which was launched in 1969.
06 Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Mechanism Of Action
In vitro studies and in vivo pharmacologic studies have shown that salbutamol has a preferential effect on beta2-adrenergic receptors compared with isoproterenol.Label,Although beta2 adrenoceptors are the predominant adrenergic receptors in bronchial smooth muscle and beta1 adrenoceptors are the predominant receptors in the heart, there are also beta2-adrenoceptors in the human heart comprising 10% to 50% of the total beta-adrenoceptors.Label,3,4 The precise function of these receptors has not been established, but their presence raises the possibility that even selective beta2-agonists may have cardiac effects
07 Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Application
Activation of beta2-adrenergic receptors on airway smooth muscle leads to the activation of adenyl cyclase and to an increase in the intracellular concentration of cyclic-3′,5′-adenosine monophosphate (cyclic AMP).Label,3,4 This increase of cyclic AMP leads to the activation of protein kinase A, which inhibits the phosphorylation of myosin and lowers intracellular ionic calcium concentrations, resulting in relaxation.Label,3,4 Salbutamol relaxes the smooth muscles of all airways, from the trachea to the terminal bronchioles.Label,3,4 Salbutamol acts as a functional antagonist to relax the airway irrespective of the spasmogen involved, thus protecting against all bronchoconstrictor challenges.
08 Salbutamol (18559-94-9) More research
Salbutamol (INN) or albuterol (USAN), a moderately selective beta(2)-receptor agonist similar in structure to terbutaline, is widely used as a bronchodilator to manage asthma and other chronic obstructive airway diseases.Label,3,4 The R-isomer, levalbuterol, is responsible for bronchodilation while the S-isomer increases bronchial reactivity.2 The R-enantiomer is available and sold in its pure form as levalbuterol and subsequently may produce fewer side-effects with only the R-enantiomer present – although this has not been formally demonstrated.
09 Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Document Download
10 Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Reference
- 1: Chen D, Yang M, Zheng N, Xie N, Liu D, Xie C, Yao D. A novel aptasensor for electrochemical detection of ractopamine, clenbuterol, salbutamol, phenylethanolamine and procaterol. Biosens Bioelectron. 2016 Jun 15;80:525-31. doi: 10.1016/j.bios.2016.01.025. Epub 2016 Jan 11. PubMed PMID: 26890828.
- 2: Wang MY, Zhu W, Ma L, Ma JJ, Zhang DE, Tong ZW, Chen J. Enhanced simultaneous detection of ractopamine and salbutamol–Via electrochemical-facial deposition of MnO2 nanoflowers onto 3D RGO/Ni foam templates. Biosens Bioelectron. 2016 Apr15;78:259-66. doi: 10.1016/j.bios.2015.11.062. Epub 2015 Nov 22. PubMed PMID:26623510.
- 3: Flores P, Mendes AL, Neto AS. A randomized trial of nebulized 3% hypertonic saline with salbutamol in the treatment of acute bronchiolitis in hospitalized infants. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2016 Apr;51(4):418-25. doi: 10.1002/ppul.23306. Epub 2015 Sep 3. PubMed PMID: 26334188.
- 4: Rodríguez-Ramos F, Andrade-Moreno MÁ, Alfaro-Romero A, Balderas-López JL, Navarrete A. Gnaphaliin A and gnaphaliin B synergize the relaxant effect of salbutamol but not of ipratropium in guinea pig trachea. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2016 Apr 7. doi: 10.1111/jphp.12536. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27061296.
- 01. Overview
- 02. Salbutamol powder (18559-94-9) video
- 03. Salbutamol powder Base Information
- 04. Salbutamol powder General Description
- 05. Salbutamol powder (18559-94-9) History
- 06. Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Mechanism Of Action
- 07. Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Application
- 08. Salbutamol (18559-94-9) More research
- 09. Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Document Download
- 10. Salbutamol (18559-94-9) Reference